Saturday, January 7, 2012

How stuff gets done around here

I am pretty notorious for being restless. Chronic insomnia has plagued me since I was a little girl and over the years I’ve filled those hours of staring at the ceiling by imagining all the great and wonderful things I can create/destroy/recycle. I have designed a village. I have also come up with how to commit the perfect murder. Just sayin’.

Seriously. Don’t screw with me.

But back to the point! My younger brother has gotten to where he runs away and hides whenever I come to visit home. Because it never fails…I got some work for us to do! I am infamous for rooting through refrigerators and dumping out everything that has expired. The real kicker? I MAKE LISTS FOR THIS. I will literally write every single tossed item down and add when it expired beside it. Why? I have no idea…but I justify it as a preventative measure against the victim’s wrath. Who can be mad about having an empty fridge when I just documented how I saved their life by tossing out cheese that expired 12 years ago?

True story: I discovered once that my Mom had a suppository (unused of course) stashed in her fridge that had expired 8 years prior. She adamantly insisted that they never expired. But I argued that the date said otherwise and buried it under lots of nasty food trash so she wouldn’t go get it when my back turned. End of story.

So are you sensing a pattern? I like being busy (only when it’s convenient to me haha). By the time Seth gets a day off work I already have a list of chores activities for us to do. Like this past break when he’d just gotten off a 6 day work period of solely night shifts. He got home from work, slept about 4 hours, and I woke him up while eagerly exclaiming, “We should tile the dining room today! But we need to get started now if we want to finish before you go back to work.”   

Seth gives me this small look. Just a look. He doesn’t groan or give off any physical gestures of discontent. But in that small look I get this:


To which I respond by doing something like this:

That would be my “Hey ignore the brand new chore I’ve created for us and just enjoy this moment” dance. Or maybe it’s my “Come hither” dance.

I’m not sure. Could be both.

So that’s how work gets done around the Johnson house! I nag Seth and he somehow refrains from strangling me.

The tile looks beautiful by the way. I will document this process later!

No comments:

Post a Comment