Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Homemade Ranch Dressing

I am one of those freaks that puts ranch on everything. I normally wouldn’t be so quick to whip out the label ‘freak’…but when you hunch possessively over your McDonald’s ranch packet while dunking both fries and McNuggets (or pouring it on your McChicken sandwich if it’s a Dollar Menu kind of day) no other word really matches.

But even though I recognized that I use the heck out of liquid ranch I have recently obtained a lot of recipes that require the dry packet. I didn’t really realize how often I was buying them until I was scanning over old receipts: around 4-5 a month at times. And that can get pretty expensive! Not to mention liquid ranch isn’t that easy on the wallet either. So here’s a remedy!

Homemade Ranch Dressing Mix

Ingredients

  • 2 Tbsp dried parsley
  • 1 tsp dried dill
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp dried basil
  • 1/2 tsp pepper

Directions

  • Add each of the dried spices to a lidded container and shake well to mix.
  • Store in a resealable plastic baggie or small container with a tight fitting lid.
  • To make the ranch dressing, whisk together 1/3 cup mayonnaise with 1/4 cup milk (more or less depending on the consistency you want) with 1 Tbsp of the homemade ranch dressing seasoning mix.  Season with salt, to taste. Use immediately and can refrigerate for up to 3 days.
  • Makes about 4 Tbsp worth of mix. Or use the ratios above and mix up however much you’ll need!
NOTE
For a healthier alternative you may substitute either greek yogurt or sour cream in place of mayonnaise!

Easy yeah? I’m not really great at herb gardens but I bet the ranch would have a wonderful flavor using herbs from your own home!

No comments:

Post a Comment