Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Frugal Febreeze

I’ve always been a dog person but I’ll be the first to admit that no matter how clean you keep them (and mine are admittedly not bathed regularly) they carry a certain smell. The kind of smell that permeates even the cleanest household. I can walk into a house without knowing anything about it and immediately determine whether or not they have pets. It’s not necessarily a bad smell…but it is distinct!

I don’t like ‘distinct smells’ in my house.

I have heavily invested in candles, air wicks, febreeze, febreeze knock offs, fabric softener sheets, those candle chunks you melt on a hot plate, scented oils, and those little wooden stick things you put in a vase filled with oil. My house smells pretty good. But it is an expensive, and often space consuming, past time. Febreeze is my favorite…especially after I vacuum (holy crap spell check just had a seizure when I tried to correctly spell that).

But febreeze, despite its wonderful scent, is friggin expensive. I last paid $5.95 for a bottle. Seems like a pretty good deal until you calculate that you might go through 2 bottles a week – not to mention if you have pets during a ‘rainy season’ – so you’re looking at forking over around $12 a month…PLUS whatever you spend on candles and whatnot. Us women love candles ß Take note, Seth!

So let’s add that up:
2 bottles of febreeze/month @ $5.95 = $11.90
For one year = $142.80

Jeeze!

So I surfed around on the net and found some interesting referrals to homemade Febreeze. As far as I can tell the original creator is lost in the Internet machine…I traced it back to Homemade Mamas. I don’t like giving her credit because she lists specifically that she got it from somewhere else…but I got it from her so I’m giving that much credit to her!

Fake Febreeze
2 cups warm water
¼ cup fabric softener (your favorite scent/any brand)
1 tsp. baking soda
- Mix all ingredients into a spray bottle and shake well. Spray on any surface.
- Shake well before each use
Makes 14 fluid ounces!

The average febreeze bottle is 27 fl. Oz (I think at least) so you need to roughly make 2 batches to equal out a single febreeze bottle. I only made one batch, sprayed it all over my house, and barely used half an ounce so I’m just sticking to one batch at a time. But let’s do the math on that! We’ll use what I bought.

1 (4 lb.) box Baking Soda - $2.12
1 (44 fl. Oz) Purex Ultra Fabric Softener, Lavender - $2.98
1 (24 fl Oz.) spray bottle - $1.00
Water – Depends on my monthly usage =D
Total: $6.11 for starter supplies

Divided into batches possible
[96 tsp. in 4 lbs. x 4] 384 tsp. of Baking Soda
[2 fl. Oz. in ¼ cup] 22 ¼ cups of Fabric Softener
Unlimited free use in spray bottle
Unlimited free use in water
= At least 22 batches of fake febreeze
Compared @ $5.95 for febreeze it costs $0.27 per batch

Savings
2 bottles of febreeze/month @ $5.95 = $11.90
For one year = $142.80
2 bottles of fake febreeze/month @ $0.27 = $0.54
For one year = $6.48

Total monthly savings: $11.36
Total yearly savings: $136.32

WOW huh?!

I have read over concerns comments from other blogs where people are raising the red flag on fabric softener containing a link to pancreatic cancer and other maladies. While I appreciate their concern I justify it by saying I use this stuff on my clothes anyway…and I am in no way saturating surfaces or spraying it directly on people/pets. However! I have heard rumors that you can make your own homemade fabric softener!

Homemade Fabric Softener
2 cups of hair conditioner
4 cups of white vinegar
6 cups water
-Mix and use!

I hadn’t discovered this recipe until after my grocery trip…so it’ll have to wait for me! Until then I’m going to keep happily spraying my pancreatic cancer on the carpet. Btw I sprayed it about 1.5 hours ago and the place still smells fresh. And I texted the tip to my Mom and she made it within 5 minutes of receiving it…and gave it a glowing review =D

So keep your head up high, pet lovers! Keep that ‘distinct smell’ at bay another day!

1 comment:

  1. I would love to make the homemade febreeze but I can't since Sheldon is allergic. And I suppose I could if I use the unscented dye free ones. So far I've only found one fabric softner that doesn't irritate his sikn but there is no smell to it. Maybe adding some infused oil could do the trick.

    ReplyDelete